Train-of-trainer BASIC Program
WHY ATTEND THIS TRAINING?
- More and more organizations rely on their internal teams, communications leads and external counsel to manage their reputational crisis, but face the challenge of coordinating and directing a truly effective effort to detect and manage their reputational issues/risks early.
- The focus of this BASIC course is on identifying and managing escalating issues before they turn to become a full-blown crisis. This is NOT a crisis communications course. This is a crisis preparedness program that looks at specific aspects that often inhibit organizations to react effectively to an emerging crisis situation.
- Many companies find it difficult mobilize resources from various functional units because the concerned unit(s) feel they are ‘at fault’ from the start or think there is no need to get involved.
- This training program enables you to become an internal crisis advisor due to the above circumstances. The ‘crisis advisor’ helps your organization to be more aware of the emerging threats within the business and helps management to prevent the issues from escalating further.
The training program is designed to:
- Assist you to become an effective crisis advisor to direct your overall crisis management effectively from the very beginning. This program offers you an opportunity to generate a much more positive and calming influence on your organization’s crisis preparedness and provides a solid platform to make a better contribution to your business.
- Help you apply and connect the different business continuity procedures and policies available in your company and address any gaps as early as possible.
- Give you an opportunity to practice on how you advise your CEO and functional leaders on what is at stake if an issue escalates further, assess risks from the different stakeholders and make solid recommendations on what your organization should prioritize.
WHAT IS IT LIKE?
- This course develops your leadership style and internal positioning to be a strategic planner and ‘educator’ as opposed to becoming ordinary implementers. It will give you a different value proposition that will lift your profile when leading crisis response efforts internally.
- Together with the facilitators in this program, you will learn techniques to pick danger signs (read: reputational risks) quickly, assemble a rapid response team and direct your team’s decision making and communications skills.
THE PROGRAM/KEY TOPICS
- Issues vs crisis defined, the different models
- Exercise: “Guard It Together”
- Different responses from the functional teams when a crisis situation evolves
- Techniques to create ‘red flag’ information inputs and anticipate scenarios that may evolve into a crisis situation
- The strategic role of a crisis advisor:
- Who is it and why is it crucial?
- Where does it all fit in your crisis communications plan?
- What are your main outputs/deliverables?
- What does it take to be a good advisor?
- How can your advice be more credible in the eyes of your functional leaders and management team?
- Case studies from a leading organization in crisis preparedness
- Exercise: tasks distribution and communication
- Debrief to reinforce key learnings and action plans
- What can we do differently going forward?
- Exercise 2 and close: “Guard It Together”
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- This is an interactive learning environment with practical advice and framework to guide your role in your organization. Participants will be requested to demonstrate their issues and crisis management processes “as is” and will be gradually taught about how to become an internal crisis advisor through role plays and challenging exercises.
- Participants will be encouraged to learn from their past challenges when managing crisis situations, efforts to detect ‘danger signs’ and consolidate internal actions, and determine ways to delegate tasks effectively. Essentially this training offers a chance to practise on how to work with your internal teams effectively.
- In this course, you will have an opportunity to listen to crisis management experts and learn from a crisis advisor from leading companies in Indonesia.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Mid-level to senior crisis management team members
- Executives likely to be designated as an internal crisis advisor in future
- Business unit crisis managers or their alternates/deputies
- Senior corporate affairs, HR or Health, Safety & Environment executives with interest in becoming an internal crisis trainer
WHAT WILL THIS TRAINING DO FOR YOU
- The worst effect of a crisis in a company or institution is panic, often resulting in significant business disruptions and uncertainty. Your ability to be laser-focused on detecting issues that may escalate into crisis is vital.
- In this BASIC module, we will challenge you to be able to break the silos in your organization and teach you the skills and knowledge to be the conduit for your risk mitigation efforts – from establishing an appropriate team, clarifying their roles and more importantly, developing strategies to deal with issues that escalate quickly to become crises.
- We will help you to lead your issues identification and management effort in a secure environment and guide participants to make informed decisions.
- Your facilitators will help you to develop a structured learning experience for you, so you can direct your leadership and functional teams to work together effectively under difficult circumstances threatening the reputation of your business.
Senior PR practitioner and Vice Chairman of Edelman Indonesia
Bambang Chriswanto is a senior crisis counsellor and Vice Chairman of Edelman Indonesia, an international PR consultancy in Jakarta. He has worked as a facilitator and advisor for many multinational companies in Indonesia in managing various issues and crisis management projects.
Bambang believes that crisis management is an important leadership function and is a collective responsibility. The critical role of an internal crisis advisor is based on his many years of his consulting experience and observations when working with crisis management teams from leading organizations and companies in Indonesia.
Drs. B. Sri Tunggul Pannindriya, M.A
Vice Head of Thesis Dept at Post Graduate Programme STIKOM LSPR
Tunggul SP is a former journalist with more than 20 years of experience. A senior lecturer for communication and media studies at a leading PR school in Jakarta, Tunggul has been actively involved in various crisis management and media handling assignments in the oil and gas industry, government institutions and the manufacturing sector.
Tunggul holds a master’s degree in communications from the University of Wales, UK and he is now completing his doctoral degree in strategic communications. He is deeply passionate about strategic communication management, interpersonal relations and media management.